Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Talking to naked people

I'm feeling better. Finally. Good enough to go to the gym, even.

Can I just ask: What is it with people in the gym locker room? Maybe I'm too modest, but I USE the dressing room they have. I avoid, at all cost, "disrobing" out in the open. It makes me uncomfortable, really uncomfortable. And I guess I don't care if other women are more comfortable with their bodies and feel okay being ... um ... exposed ... to everyone else in the locker room. That's fine for them. And if you're someone who does that, that's cool. I have no problem with that if you are comfortable enough to do it...

But yesterday, my first day back to the gym in almost 3 weeks of being sick, I walk into the locker room after working out - all sweaty and ready for a shower and here's this naked lady standing in front of my locker, kind of blocking it. I couldn't really avoid her - I needed into my locker. So I go up, say, "excuse me", and start to open my locker. And she turns toward me and just starts talking. Fully naked. Not in the process of dressing, nor did she have a towel draped around her, nor was she even trying to kind of cover anything - she was just standing there. Naked. Talking. Sheesh. I didn't even know her. Am I crazy? Maybe it was just my weak stomach from 2 weeks of the flu, but is that not uncomfortable for people?

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, My! That is one of the weirdest things ever!

Elaine said...

That sounds disgusting to me! I tend to be more on the modest side too!

Wilson Family said...

One word.....Yuck!! I say if you want to be naked, do it at your house (with the blinds closed) or at a beach specifically designed for that sort of thing!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you are so not weird. Up until recently we had a family athletic club membership and oh the stories that could be told about the locker room. We didn't have private changing rooms...just big open spaces and lockers. Some women I am convinced actually (hmm how to say this tastefully) get something out of being boldly naked in front of others. After more than a few bizarre naked run-ins I just quit using the locker room there and waited to take a shower at home. It was too embarassing and icky!

The Miller Family said...

NO THANK YOU! Yeah, and what do you do...talk looking down, up, over her head...what do you do!!!